You can put a dash of brand just about anywhere

There's nothing less interesting or more standard than a bar code, right?  Not according to the people at Design Barcode, where the status quo is anything but!

Check out these jazzed up bar codes. (click on the images to see a full-size image in a pop up window)

Picture 4

Picture 5
Picture 6

Lest you think this is a new idea, apparently Rick Tharp was doing it (see his version) way back in 1986.

(Hat tips to Beverly Koehn and Beth Wampler for sharing this Fast Company article on the bar code designs)

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

14 comments on “You can put a dash of brand just about anywhere

1. That is rather ingenious, people can be so creative I would have never though of this. Imagine owning your own music store and having a bar code of a music note or something. Just makes your store that much cooler and unique.

2. Charley says:

This is clever. When do we see this on everyday products? Is packaging design the new frontier?

3. Anna Green says:

These are real sweet, its little quirks like this that can make me but something i otherwise wouldn’t have wanted.

4. Buzzlord says:

That is brilliant!

I love this idea. You could create any barcode design you want to fit your brand perfectly. This is going to catch on for a lot of products positioned on the upper end of the spectrum.

5. Dennis says:

Loved it!

For those interested, they are actually selling their barcode designs – you can even buy exclusivity… Great niche.

6. Great idea. I believe that the main benefit of the design barcode is allowing you to impress the customer without having to dedicate much of the packaging’s area to this purpose.
    It is small but quite remarkable.

7. Would be interesting to see if it is possible to combine a barcode with a stripey background covering the entire item – so it was completely hidden, but perfectly readable?

8. What a great way to get your brand out there. Thanks for sharing this fun piece! Although I certainly hope more companies don’t start doing this. It will take away all of the novelty…and fun.

Tessa Carroll

9. James White says:

I like the train, waterfall and city ones. All very creative though! The humble barcode will never be the same again!

10. Would be interesting to see if it is possible to combine a barcode with a stripey background covering the entire item – so it was completely hidden, but perfectly readable?

11. Douglas says:

I will never consider the bar code boring or unnecessary every again. The thought that must go into these code and now fashion statements is fantastic. I will make a point to have a look at all codes from this moment forward. This is corporate branding in its own right. Start promoting it!

Douglas
    Advertising Products

12. never consider the bar code boring or unnecessary every again. The thought that must go into these code and now fashion statements is fantastic. I will make a point to have a look at all codes from this moment

13. I really liked all the designs of bar codes shown in this post. I have never seen these designs of bar codes in my life. But I think it’s an awesome idea to create such type of designer barcodes for various products coming in the market.Really, it is a very innovative idea to identify products rate…

14. Fantastic post. I always like telling folks, everyone has failed MindReading 101…so even if you think you understand your clients’ take, there’s a good chance SOMETHING was miscommunicated.